Kiwi Gin Fizz
It's finally spring, and spring always makes me want an ice-cold cocktail. Gin is typically my go-to spirit, and I love mixing it with fruit, like my blackberry-lemon gin and tonic. I first experienced this tasty cocktail at Katsuya, a swanky Japanese restaurant in LA, where they called this a Kiwi Envy. I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't wait to get home to recreate it.
This cocktail sort of resembles a gin fizz, which is typically lemon juice, sugar and sometimes egg whites, topped with sparkling water. Here, you add a delicious kiwi, St-Germain (a liqueur flavored with elderflowers), and lime juice instead of lemon. Topped with a little Perrier, you've got yourself a new twist on an old classic.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 1 COCKTAIL):
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- 1 kiwi slice for garnish
- 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz. St-Germain
- 3/4 oz. simple syrup
- 2 oz. gin (I used Hendrix)
- Perrier Sparkling Water
1. Peel kiwi, reserving 1 slice for garnish.
2. Add remaining kiwi to cocktail shaker and muddle well.
3. Add gin, St-Germain, lime juice and simple syrup.
4. Top with ice and vigorously shake for at least 10 seconds.
5. Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice.
6. Top with Perrier and stir. Garnish with kiwi slice.
Photo by Jonathan Stiers ©2018