Powdered Cake Donuts
I have a thing for donuts. And while I was thinking about 2017 and the New Year, wouldn't it be nice to start with blank, white canvas? That was the inspiration behind these sweet, beauties. That and I wanted a reason to make some donuts. They're baked, not fried and have the perfect balance of cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. I made a cappuccino and couldn't resist dipping one of these and it was nothing short of amazing!
Makes 12 Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flower
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees and spray your donut pans with cooking spray.
- Combine and sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in to large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, 2 tablespoons of melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Combine with the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or baking spatula.
- Transfer to large freezer bag and cut the corner (or a pastry bag if you've got one!).
- Fill each cavity to 2/3 of the way full. Any more and your donuts will fill in!
- Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Give your pans a good tap then turn upside down to get those bad boys out.
- In a pie dish, dredge each donut in powdered sugar until completely coated.
- You absolutely must dip these in your cappuccino or cup of coffee...no really, I insist!
All photos ©2017 Jonathan Stiers | Original recipe from Barefoot Contessa